"The test of a successful communication is what happens at the receiving end." Crystal, David. Linguistics.
In today's global environment, you need a translator who is truly bicultural. One who understands not only the intricacies of both languages, but the cultural differences underlying them. I bring my years of cultural training to the table as well as my expert knowledge of the language, including industry-specific jargon and terminology, to provide you with the most accurate and comprehensive translation possible.
I am a fully bilingual translator and interpreter (raised and educated in both Brazilian Portuguese and English) and am a former Ivy League educator with over six years’ experience teaching business language and culture at one of the premier MBA/MA programs in the United States.
With over 25 years' experience, my expertise includes translations, editing, proofreading, formatting, desktop publishing, and software localization. I have performed translations for businesses in a wide range of subjects, including but not limited to, law, medicine, pharmaceuticals, business, information technology, multimedia, marketing, fashion, performing arts, education, and hospitality.
I have also developed special glossaries, adapted scripts, transcribed videos and audio recordings, and coordinated multilingual projects for major clients.
Projects include manuals, newsletters, brochures, legal documents, websites, publications, clinical trials, reports, research, marketing, and cross-cultural training materials.
I have state-of-the-art software programs on both Mac and PC platforms to accommodate all of your project needs.
I am a member of the American Translators Association (ATA), the ATA Portuguese Language Division (PLD), the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), among others. I abide by the Code of Professional Conduct and Practices issued by the ATA.
I have worked with SDL Trados, Wordfast, Déjà Vu, and Fluency, among other CAT tools.
I work extremely well under strict time constraints and deadline-sensitive assignments. My work is of the highest quality, accurate, affordable and always delivered on or before schedule.
Feel free to contact me, under no obligation, to inquire about my services and fees.
Editing & Proofreading
• Freelance and in-house translator since 1989 providing Portuguese-to-English and English-to-Portuguese translation services for private individuals, companies, entities and government agencies.
• Director of Translation Services for over 4 years. Responsibilities included client contact and development, translators' recruitment, assignment of multilingual translations and editing and reviewing of documents before submission to clients.
• Simultaneous and consecutive interpreter for clients, including the Social Security Administration's Office of Hearings and Appeals, U. S. Drug Enforcement Administration, law firms, convention centers, market research agencies, and medical offices for over 15 years.
• Former lecturer of advanced-level, content-based business Portuguese and Brazilian culture for The Joseph H. Lauder Institute of Management and International Studies, The Wharton School and The School of Arts & Sciences, University of Pennsylvania for MBA/MA degree students with a concentration in Latin America and Brazil. Responsible for the design and implementation of a specialized curriculum on business Portuguese.
• Former lecturer of beginner and intermediate-level, content-based Portuguese and Brazilian culture for the Penn Language Center, University of Pennsylvania for undergraduate students. Responsible for the design and implementation of specialized curricula to promote fluency in speaking, as well as proficiency in reading and writing.
• Extensive conference experience and presentations for organizations such as the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) and the Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER), with a concentration in foreign language components for the business areas as well as cross-cultural communication.
• Instructor, both of English as a second language for professionals and of Portuguese for expatriates living and working in Brazil and the US, for companies such as Shell, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Bank of Boston, etc.
• Cross-cultural consultant for Brazil and the US, assisting Brazilian and American companies in implementing international business plans and follow-up efforts, establishing contacts with Brazilian companies, and coordinating and participating in the qualification and selection process for bringing qualified distributors to the US.
• Regional Director for AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a worldwide, nonprofit organization leader in intercultural education and exchange programs. Responsible for all aspects of student and group visits such as locating host families, sponsoring schools and providing instruction in cross-cultural orientation.
• Concierge/Receptionist for several five-star hotels including the Hilton Hotels. Responsible for assisting guests and language interpreting, translating brochures and hotel material.
• Airline Attendant for companies such as American Airlines and United Airlines, assisting and coordinating the arrival and departure of international passengers.
• Musician/Violinist and Harpsichordist, specialized in baroque music, playing in several orchestras and chamber music ensembles in Brazil, Europe and the US.
I have provided customized language services for companies, government agencies, schools, hospitals, law firms, non-profit organizations, private individuals, and translation agencies worldwide. A partial list of my clients:
• Abbott Laboratories • Bank of Boston • Baumann, DeSeve & Landau • Brintnall & Nicolini, Inc., Healthcare Marketing and Consulting
• Bruderer Machinery Inc. • Central MA Area Health Education Center • Cigna International • Drug Enforcement Administration - US Department of Justice • Dupont Company • Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates • Ernst & Young • FedEx Corporation • GlaxoSmithKline • Habitat for Humanity of Martha's Vineyard, Inc. • Henkel Corporation • Hilton Hotels • KidsPeace, The National Center for Kids Overcoming Crisis • Lutron Electronics Corporation • Massachusetts Department of Education • Martha's Vineyard Public Schools • Nestlé S. A. • New Jersey Department of Education • PECO Energy Company • PricewaterhouseCoopers • Shell Brasil S. A. • Sunbeam Corporation • Syngenta Crop Protection Canada, Inc. • Texaco Company • The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts • The Sírio-Libanês Hospital • Varig Airlines
• Anthropology • Archaeology • Demography • Education/Pedagogy • Environmental Studies • Linguistics • Psychology • Sociology